A little late but better than never!
Recently I have been finding myself thinking about the big O, as in Oprah. With all the hype of an "era" coming to an end there is also some pretty strong titles I keep coming across. I'm talking about her referred to as a modern day spiritual leader. It rubs me the wrong way. You see, Oprah is a wonderful in the sense that as the philanthropist. My good friend Webster D defines a philanthropist as "one who loves mankind, and seeks to promote the good of others." I find Oprah to be a dynamite philanthropist. She has donated millions of dollars to various charities, some of which she has founded. She also established an academy for young girls in South Africa. The list is longer than I can imagine of the good she has done and those who have benefited from it. Hate to be harsh but I kinda expect the most powerful modern day woman should use her power for good. Any other super hero would, right?
I will gladly give credit where credit is due. I would never want to downplay her efforts on giving the less fortunate an education or dignity. But I can't swallow the spiritual leader title because its so generic, just as her faith has been publicly generic. There is something so gray about the terms "religious" and "spiritual" that doesn't take ownership in the specifics of Jesus. I am not a daytime tv watcher but the shows I've watched of her's were always suger coated with vague terms about the emotional benefits of having spirituality but lacked the hard facts of Jesus or lack of Jesus to her audience.
One article I read used the parallel of Mother Theresa and Oprah as spiritual leaders. That baffled me. Mother Theresa lived such a simple life, gave up any ounce of luxury to care and tend for the least of these. A missionary heart and lifestyle few live (or get recognized for). And she focused on claiming Jesus specifically as the power that be in her life.
Oprah was a powerful talk show host, OWN network founder, magazine publisher, philanthropist, and beautiful woman but she's no Mother Theresa in my book. There are a lot of "no names" that wipe the sweat of their brow, live a life of proclaiming Jesus, and in my eyes are better spiritual leaders...or Christ followers for that matter. I hope my version of OWN is living a little more like Jesus, Paul, Mother Theresa, and so many others who would be ecstatic to use their influence to publicly claim the life of Jesus.
P.S. I hope I don't sound judgmental! My intentions are so highlight when you are given much, much is required. luke 12:48
No comments:
Post a Comment